- Author :Jun Kawahara / Kai Naito / Asako Okazaki (FabLab Kamakura)
- Date created : 05/23/2019
- modified: 05/05/2020
- modified: 05/11/2021 Jun Kawahara
refer to Assessment page - Wildcard Week
- Design and produce something with a digital fabrication process (incorporating computer-aided design and manufacturing) not covered in another assignment,
- documenting the requirements that your assignment meets, and including everything necessary to reproduce it.
- Possibilities include but are not limited to wildcard week examples.
- Demonstrate workflows used in the chosen process
- Select and apply suitable materials and processes to do your assignment.
Have you answered these questions?#
- Documented how you made your creation
- Described problems and how you fixed them
- Included your design files and ‘hero shot’ of the result
Can I make the assignment by hand?
Answer: Although there can be manual processing steps, to count as digital fabrication the workflow should pass through design in a computer and some kind of automated output process.
Do I have to do the group assignment if I choose to do composites?
Answer: Yes, you have to make test coupons.
Individual Assignments possibilities#
- class page
- read the safety data sheet (SDS) and technical data sheet (TDS) for the resins that you’re using
- produce test coupons for your composite fabrication process(es)
- design and fabricate a 3D mold (~ft2) and produce a fiber composite part in it, with resin infusion and compaction
- group assignment - FabLab Kamakura 2018
- Kai, Daisuke and Jun
- Soft robotics - Fabricademy 2018-2019
- Soft Robotic Grippers - Adv. Mater.
- I love Montserrat(Dassault 3D Experience LAB)’s work
- Circular Open Source Fashion
- Fabricademy Open Source Circular fashion catalogue
- JESSICA STANLEY - Fabricademy/2018-2019
- Jun Kawahara - Fabricademy/2018-2019
- Computerized embroidery
Folding: vinyl cutter/laser cutter/stiff paper/stiff mylar(?)/resin + canvas#
- Folded Structure: Forms of folded structures  | Download Scientific Diagram
- Kirigami - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AymJJOxeNgI
- Kirigami - https://news.mit.edu/2018/kirigami-inspired-technique-manipulates-light-nanoscale-0706
- Kirigami - https://www.kimheeju.com/kirigami-keyboard
- DIY Microfluidics - CBA MIT
- Enabling Microfluidics: from Clean Rooms to Makerspaces, Trends in Biotechnology, Volume 35, Issue 5, May 2017, Pages 383-392
Simple 3D Printed Scaffold‐Removal Method for the Fabrication of Intricate Microfluidic Devices, July 2015Advanced Science 2(9) - Open Access
metamaterials: flexture/compliant mechanisms/auxetic materials#
- FAB14 Workshop: Digital Mechanical Material by Design
- hinged tessellations
- Grasshopper/Kangaroo Physics
- Flexible mechanical metamaterials, Bertoldi K, Vitelli V, Christensen J, van Hecke M., Nature Reviews. 2017;2 :17066.
Announcements / notes#
- May 17 recitation: education programs